Children's Book Week

Yesterday marked the beginning of Children's Book Week, established way back in 1919.

When I was painting this picture, I flashed back to when my sons were small enough to fit in a wagon together. About once a week during the summer, I'd take them to the library in the wagon and let them pick out a few picture books. Then they'd play with the puppets or the computers while I picked out a bunch more for them.

When we arrived back home, I'd dump out the bag and let them look over all the books while I made lunch. It was a rare silent spell, with only the sound of turning pages as they pored over all the books, reading the pictures. Those were very happy days.

Books offer a gift that's all too rare these days -- a chance to slow down time.

Comments

  1. Hi Janet, Love the peaceful and absorbed quality you brought into this piece, and the words you shared in your blog post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment