Sketchbook Skool

It's been a lovely summer, made lovelier by a class I discovered. Knowing that I was going to be working on some less-than-exciting educational illustrations this summer, I was happy to learn from fellow PBAAer Betsy James about a fun sounding on-line course from Danny Gregory, who I've always liked. Danny and several other artists have created Sketchbook Skool, which offers three courses. I took the "Beginnings" course, hoping that it would keep me from burning out on drawing, and I'm happy to report that it worked! The six week course challenged me to break out of my comfort zone and draw IN PUBLIC! In front of STRANGERS!

Each week introduces a different instructor with a different method or focus. I especially enjoyed Tommy Kane, but they were all really good. I have a pretty cool sketchbook to show for my efforts, and I can keep referring back to the videos and transcripts, which are accessible forever once you take the class. (Klass?) Next, I think I'm going to try Storytelling. Never stop learning, that's the ticket!

Comments