The Importance of Letting Things Settle


I'm still riding high after attending the SCBWI Prairie Writer's Day last weekend, where I met so many inspiring editors, authors, and agents. I came home totally enthused about sprucing up my book dummy for a story I first wrote a couple years ago. Katherine Jacobs, editor at Roaring Brook Press, gave a talk about pacing, and that got me thinking about revising the page turns in my book to build suspense. I was happy with my manuscript, but not with the book dummy, so I tore it apart and started over again, with almost all new illustrations. Having not picked up this project in a while, I had lots of fresh enthusiasm and am really happy with the way things turned out. This is an example of a page that I radically changed, for the better, I think.

Comments