What Book Got You Hooked?


First Book is an excellent organization that aims to put new books into the hands of children in need. You can join in their "What book got you hooked?" campaign at their website and tell of that first reading experience that made whole worlds bloom inside your head. Doesn't it make you warm all over just remembering that book? For me, it was "The Littles," a series by John Peterson, that FIRST got me hooked. I used to order them through the Scholastic Book Club at my elementary school. I loved, loved, loved the idea of mouse-sized people with tails living in the walls of the Bigg family home. I especially remember how vain they were about their tails, and I remember their thrilling adventures, including fighting off the family cat with a sewing needle, and their daring trips to visit other tiny families, including a branch that lived in the town dump, and one that lived in the forest, and . . . oh I could go on and on. As you can see, I'm hooked!

Comments