Back from the Land of Walden



My family and I flew out to New England to attend my niece's graduation from Boston College (with Phi Beta Kappa honors -- you go, Kelly!) Since we rarely pony up the money to fly anywhere, we decided to make a trip of it, traveling around Maine and the rocky Massachusetts coast. We went to Concord to visit the starting point of the Revolutionary War, which my fifth grader had just studied, but we ended up really grooving on the Transcendentalist vibe there. We stopped by the Walden Pond gift shop and struck up a conversation with the heavily tattooed young man working there. When my husband asked if we could swim in Walden Pond, he said "You MUST swim in Walden Pond." So we did! Here's Owen, enjoying his "bathe," as Henry would say.

I bought a copy of Walden from our tattoed friend, and I've been reading it since we returned home. To be completely honest, I'm probably only understanding about 75% of the language, but what I'm getting, I'm liking. Here's a quote from Henry that was on a onesie in the Walden gift shop: "I have always been regretting that I was not as wise as the day I was born."

Comments